About Neil Ernest Tomkins
* * *
Neil Tomkins is a Sydney based Artist working within the medium of painting. He is currently training in the traditional spectrum of oil painting but seeks to express a contemporary approach to mark.
He has been painting for about 10 years. During this time he has studied at both Wollongong University and Sydney Collage of the Arts as well as Charlie Sheard’s Academy School
He has exhibited at Project Space, Lo-Fi Darlo Markets, Dedspace, MiLs Gallery, Oh Really!?, Abattoir Gallery, Black town Arts Centre, Glebe Art Prize (winner youth award) and Long Gallery amongst others in both Sydney, Wollongong and Melbourne. He has also worked on various commission projects and murals.
Neil has been involved in various residency and studio programs in Peru, South America and Mexico as well as mural projects in these areas. Neil works on various mural and commission based projects.
Neil holds a residency at Higher Ground Studio in Annandale, Sydney.
Currently, Neil is concerned with a relatively traditional subject matter; Australian landscape, expressive portraiture and still life. In doing so he aims more to contort and play with the notions of these themes. The object being to explore the malleable nature of expressionism. Neil has been labeled as both an impressionist and an expressionist to this end.
His aim is to find a balance between these two schools.
* * *
if you would like to contact Neil for a commission based work, mural or for general sales and enquiries contact:
Neil Ernest Tomkins
PH: 04 301 299 53
Bachelor Visual Arts (2011)
Wollongong University (2007- 08)
Sydney Collage of the Arts (2008- 10)
Charlie Sheard Studio School (2011)
Minor- Print media
- Glebe Art Prize, Winner Youth Prize, Sydney 2011
- Matching Grants, City of Sydney, 2012
- Out of Sight Wining Mural, Leichardt City Council, 2012
- Wall 2 Wall, 3rd Prize Winner, Leichardt City Council, 2014
- Fishers Ghost, Finalist, Campbelltown Arts Center, 2015
- East Of Eventuality, GINKGO gallery, Sydney, 2013 (solo)
- Neil Tomkins and Lina Zinal, Skunkworks Gallery, Sydeny, 2013
- Neil E Tomkins, GINKGO gallery, Sydney, 2012 (solo)
- SCA Graduation Show, Sydney Collage of the Arts, 2010
- Animals and Landscape, MiLs Gallery, Sydney, 2010 (solo)
- Birds and Friends, Abattoir Gallery, Sydney, 2008 (solo)
- New and Old work, Long Gallery, Wollongong, 2007 (solo
SELECTED GROUP SHOWS
- Artesian4, North Sydney, 2014
- Until Next Time, Tate Gallery, Sydney 2014
- Group Show, Ginkgo Gallery, Sydney, 2012
- Project Ugly at Outpost, Cockatoo Island, Sydney, 2012
- Communicating with Rocks, MiLs Gallery, Sydney 2011
- New Blue Moon, Hibernian House, Sydney 2011
- Driftwood, Oh Really Gallery, Sydney, 2009
- 2 Young Painters, Cat and Fiddle Gallery, Sydney, 2009
- 10 Young Artists, Project Gallery, Wollongong, 2007
Public Murals Nationally and Internationally and works in private collections in New York, Mongolia, Mexico and South America.
COMMUNITY WORK & PROGRAMS
Community based artistic workshops created around drawing, painting and skateboarding. Created in collaboration with the community and based around youth empowerment and art therapy.
for bookings contact me at: www.streetcreaturesworkshops.com